Terms and Privacy
Weekender Digital Platforms
The digital platforms and contents and elements of the digital platforms (including, e.g. both editorial content and the code used in programming the platforms) are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Except as explicitly provided in these Terms of Service, you may not reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, prepare derivative works, perform, or use in any other way that is prohibited by copyright law without consent of the copyright holder, any copyrighted material found on or in WeekenderNJ digital properties. You may copy and print content for your personal, noncommercial use only, provided that you include all copyright and other notices contained in the content and that you do not modify the content. To request permission from WeekenderNJ for any other use, please contact us.
WeekenderNJ, WeekenderNJ.com, WN project names, logos, and digital platforms are the property of their respective owners, and should be used only with prior written consent from the appropriate owner.
Third Party Content
Our digital platforms contain links to sites and services, and use embedded tools provided and controlled by third parties and governed by the terms of service of those third parties listed as follows:
WeekenderNJ is not responsible in any way for third party sites, services, or products that may be linked to, embedded in, featured on, or otherwise used via our digital platforms, or for any products or services that may be advertised by third parties on our digital platforms. WeekenderNJ does not endorse the content, operators, products, or services of these providers, and users should review these providers’ own terms of service for more information.
The RSS feeds available through our digital platforms are covered by these Terms of Service. You may use these RSS feeds free of charge for your personal, noncommercial use only. When using these feeds, link and provide attribution to WeekenderNJ, either in text, by using "WeekenderNJ” or one of WeekenderNJ.com, WNJ project names, or with an image, using the logo that we have included in the feed itself. We may disable, change, or stop distributing these feeds at any time, and we may require users to cease any and all use of these feeds at any time for any reason. To request permission to make any use of the WeekenderNJ RSS feeds not mentioned here, please contact us here.
Use of the Service
By using the digital platforms, including by registering for the digital platforms, participating in comments or discussions, submitting content through the digital platforms, using RSS feeds or downloadable content, or by using any other features of the digital platforms, you agree to the following rules:
· The digital platforms may only be used for noncommercial purposes. You may not use the digital platforms to distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising or solicitation for goods and services.
· The digital platforms are intended for users over the age of 13.
· WeekenderNJ may delete, edit, or move any user-generated material that we believe may be objectionable or in violation of these Terms of Service. WeekenderNJ may limit or terminate users’ access to the WeekenderNJ digital platforms for any reason, including violation of these Terms of Service.
· Be civil and please respond insightfully and respectfully. There is room for disagreement, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.
· Please stay on topic. If you have general questions or concerns about or with WeekenderNJ, please use our contact page.
· Please keep your comments short and limit posts to about 250 words. If you have to scroll to read your comment, it's probably too long.
· Please review your comments. Good grammar, spelling, and punctuation make it easier for everyone to understand your ideas.
· You may link to or quote from relevant articles, but do not copy and paste entire or large portions of articles.
· WeekenderNJ welcomes your thoughts, but may remove or edit comments at our discretion, including for excessive length.
All Submissions and Uploads
· Submissions must be civil and respectful, and hateful, harassing, or discriminatory language will not be tolerated on the digital platforms. WeekenderNJ may delete any content that may contain foul language, or may be otherwise inappropriate, without warning. In the case of repeated offenses, WeekenderNJ may terminate your posting privileges.
· You may only post, upload or transmit materials for which you own the copyright or have permission to distribute electronically. This includes newspaper or magazine articles, song lyrics, audio, video, photos, and images. You may not violate, plagiarize, or infringe the rights of third parties, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal, publicity, moral, or proprietary rights.
· By posting, uploading, or transmitting any material on or through the digital platforms, you hereby grant WeekenderNJ a non-exclusive, irrevocable, sublicensable, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to use that material in any form or media now known or hereinafter developed.
· You may not link to, post, upload, or transmit any software or other material which contains a virus or other harmful or malicious code. You may not use the digital platforms to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, or spam or to gather email addresses for the purpose of sending spam to other users of the digital platforms.
· WeekenderNJ is not responsible or liable for any materials posted, uploaded, or transmitted by users on or through the digital platforms. WeekenderNJ cannot verify the accuracy of statements that users make on or through the digital platforms, and does not guarantee that any material has been posted, uploaded, or transmitted with the permission of the owner or is otherwise in compliance with these Terms of Service. For copyright infringement concerns, please refer to the “Copyright Agent” section of these Terms of Service.
Representations and Indemnity
You represent and warrant that (a) any material you post, upload, or transmit on or through our digital platforms does not and will not violate any of these Terms of Service, and (b) your use of our digital platforms complies with these Terms of Service. You agree that you will indemnify and hold harmless WeekenderNJ and its creator, journalists, photojournalists, volunteers, and licensees from any and all claims, liabilities, costs, or expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, arising from (1) your breach of any of the above representations and warranties, (2) your use of the digital platforms, (3) the materials you have posted, uploaded, or transmitted on or through the digital platforms, or (4) WeekenderNJ publication, distribution, or use of such materials.
The digital platforms are available on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. WeekenderNJ does not warrant that the digital platforms will be uninterrupted or error-free. WeekenderNJ also does not make any warranties as to the results that may be obtained from use of the digital platforms or as to the accuracy, reliability, or content of any information, service, products, opinions, or statements available on or through the digital platforms or through links on the digital platforms. Use of these digital platforms is entirely at your own risk.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will WeekenderNJ, creator, journalists, volunteers, be liable for any indirect, consequential, special, incidental, or punitive damages, arising out of the use or inability to use the digital platforms. In no event will WeekenderNJ, creator, journalists, photojournalists, volunteer be liable for any amount in excess of $100.
If you believe that your work has been reproduced on our digital platforms in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information in writing to WeekenderNJ/us:
· A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright.
· A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
· A description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
· Your contact information, such as address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
· A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
· A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
You may contact us by clicking here.
These Terms of Service supersede any previous documents, correspondence, conversations, or other oral or written understanding related to these Terms of Service. These Terms of Service are governed by and construed under the New Jersey State law without regard to its choice of law rules, and, where applicable, the laws of the United States. To the extent permissible by law, any disputes under these Terms of Service or relating to the digital platforms will be litigated in the local or federal courts located, and you hereby consent to personal jurisdiction and venue, in the State of New Jersey. A modification or waiver of a part of these Terms of Service will not constitute a waiver or modification of any other portion of the Terms of Service. If for any reason any provision of these Terms of Service is found unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and the remainder of the Terms of Service will continue in full force and effect.
If you have any questions about these Terms of Service, please use our contact form.
Last updated on January 23, 2021. Please also see our Terms of Service.
How We Collect and Use Information
We Collect Some Information Directly
On certain occasions when you interact with the WeekenderNJ Platform – e.g., by joining as a member, signing up for a newsletter, entering a contest, sharing an original article – you may submit information of your own accord, or be asked to do so to participate in certain activities. Some examples of information that you submit and we collect may include:
Name and login information
Your phone number
Responses to surveys or contests
Photos or videos
Comments on articles
Information about pledges/donations/story
We Collect Some Information Automatically
When you use the WeekenderNJPlatform, we may automatically recognize information like your IP address, what type of device you’re using, high-level location information (e.g., city or state), and your user behavior (such as how long you stay on the website and which links you click on).
Some of the third party vendors that we use to provide services for the WeekenderNJ Platform (e.g. analytics) may also use their own tracking technologies on our digital properties to help us run and optimize our platforms. These third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across the WeekenderNJ Platform and other online properties.
How We Process, Store and Use Personal Information
In general, our main purpose in collection, use, and storage of information is to further our mission by making WeekenderNJ Platform work better for you and by staying in touch with you about WeekenderNJ events or offerings that may interest you. So, for example, we may email to invite you to join a new newsletter list, or tell you about community events. Our usage of your Personal Information is necessary for our legitimate interest in and purpose of staying in touch with you and administering and promoting the WeekenderNJ Platform.
If you do not wish to be contacted, please indicate your preference when you contact us, or by contacting us here. We will do our best to make your requested change in a timely manner.
Please do note that if you share Personal Information through certain WeekenderNJ Platform publishing features, it may become public (e.g. if you include your email address in a comment or your name in a content submission, that information may be seen by other users or used for attribution).
Aggregated and De-Identified Information
We may use information that has been aggregated and anonymized or de-identified to assess and improve the WeekenderNJ Platform, including to enhance your user experience, to select third-party vendors who best meet our needs, and to help us funder better understand our audience. We may sometimes produce data and analysis results with this aggregated or anonymized information that helps us understand our users and their interactions with WeekenderNJ Platform. To accomplish this we may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties – and may also share the resulting data and analysis (which will not include any Personal Information).
Opting Out of Tracking
If you wish to disable cookies and other use-tracking technologies, your browser settings may enable you to do so. Please be aware, though, that disabling cookies may change or reduce the functionality of the WeekenderNJ Platform in certain contexts. Users who wish to opt out of Google Analytics data collection may use Google’s own browser add-on to do so.
We May Share Information in Limited Circumstances
As noted above, we may engage outside vendors (eg., volunteers) to help us develop, operate, and improve the WeekenderNJ Platform. Our third party vendors receive personal Information only as reasonably necessary to complete projects for WeekenderNJ, and are contractually bound to maintain confidentiality of information and prohibited from using or disclosing personal information without permission from WeekenderNJ. In rare instances, we may agree to allow a vendor to use aggregated data about activity on the NYPR Platform for general improvement or benchmarking purposes.
For Emailing/Mailing Lists
It is WeekenderNJ policy not to sell or exchange email/mailing addresses or phone numbers with any other company/organization, or outside individual(s). If we ever do want to share this information with someone else (e.g., if we collect your email and want to share it), we will ask for your permission.
As Required By Law
If we determine on a good faith basis that we are required by law (e.g., pursuant to a subpoena or judicial order) to share your personal or other information, we will endeavor to share it only to the extent we determine is reasonably necessary to comply with the request.
Other Sites and Services
As we mentioned previously, our digital platforms contain links to third party sites and services that do not follow the same privacy practices as WeekenderNJ. In some cases, the WeekenderNJ site may also include embedded tools or widgets that are provided and controlled by third parties, or that permit you to submit information to third parties (e.g., the Facebook “like” button). These services and tools – and any third party sites that you reach from links on WeekenderNJ platforms – are governed by the terms and policies of those third parties. Please review these sites’ and services’ privacy policies for more information.
Contests and User Engagement
From time to time, we may offer various opportunities for you to interact with WeekenderNJ – in particular, by entering contests through the WeekenderNJ Platform or by sending us your writings/audio/photos/videos in response to specific crowdsourcing requests. Please note that these opportunities may have their own rules; these rules, which govern your participation in these contests or activities, may give WeekenderNJ additional rights to use entries or submissions. If there is any conflict or inconsistency between such rules and this Policy, the rules will govern and take precedence.
Children Under 13 Years of Age
WeekenderNJ does not knowingly solicit or collect information from children ages 12 and under without obtaining explicit parental consent. If you become aware that your child (who is under 13) has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us; upon request, we will work to delete your child’s personal information from our files within a reasonable time.
WeekenderNJ may change and update this Policy from time to time. We will post policy updates to this page. We will not post updates or send notifications regarding changes to the third party services list, which may be updated from time to time. Any changes will only take effect prospectively from the date of the change; continued use of the WeekenderNJ platform constitutes consent to any new policy.
If you have any questions please use our contact form to get in touch with us.